When it comes time to create the dock of your dreams, a common question is whether you can safely undertake the task yourself or whether you need professional dock installation. The answer to this depends a lot on your own personal experience, as well as the type of dock you want to be installed.
When Can You Safely Install A Dock Yourself?
There are some circumstances in which a homeowner can safely and effectively install their chosen dock themselves. Typically, a person should have at least a small amount of knowledge in building things. This doesn’t necessarily have to be docks, but anything. A basic knowledge of tools is necessary for even the easiest docks.
Modern floating, rolling and stationary docks, however, tend to be easier. Many versions even connect together in a manner not too much more difficult than a puzzle – including interlocking parts!
To summarize, homeowners can safely install their own dock system if:
· They have a basic understanding of tools
· They have at least a small amount of building experience
· The homeowner feels comfortable and confident in doing so
· There is at least one another person able to help with installation
When Should You Hire A Professional?
Sometimes it just isn’t a good idea to install a dock yourself. And sometimes it’s just nice to watch a professional install your dock the first time. If you have any doubts about being able to do so, there is no shame in admitting so – and hiring a professional to accomplish the job for you. It is better to be safe than sorry, after all.
Some docks are harder than others to install, and may be outside the scope of an average homeowner. If there is no assistance for the homeowner, or they have never built something before, it is best to leave the job to the professionals.
To summarize, homeowners should hire a professional to install their dock system if:
· The dock is notably difficult to install
· They have no assistance or a spare set of hands to help with installation
· They have no building experience
· They do not possess a basic understanding of tools
· The homeowner does not feel comfortable or confident in their ability to safely install the dock
Based on the information provided above, homeowners should be able to understand whether hiring a professional to install their docks is the right choice or whether they can safely undertake the project themselves. If any doubt remains as to which the best choice is, it is usually recommended to hire a professional simply for the sake of safety, convenience, and overall efficiency of the dock system itself.